As part of your stay at the Saltery Lodge, we offer you the opportunity to visit Ketchikan, which is about 25 miles from the lodge. Tourism has become a large part of Ketchikan’s economy and there are about one million people that visit our town of 14,000 every year. Most of these visitors are on cruise ships.
Because of this, there are many activities and things to do in town. Your host will guide you around town or take you to excursions, letting you know about the unique history of the town.
Here are some ideas of things you can do while in town
- Lumberjack Show: The Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show is featured as one of the “Top 10 Things To See in Alaska” by the Travel Channel.
- Ketchikan Zip Line Tour: Fly above and through the trees in this unforgettable ride.
- Promech Air: Larger float plane operator in Ketchikan
- Southeast Aviation: Seaplane operator that offers many unique trips.
- Island Wings Air Service: Floatplane operator that offers many unique trips.
- Bering Sea Crab Tour: Set out into the calm protected waters of Ketchikan on the ALEUTIAN BALLAD. This is the same vessel seen on the Discovery Channel’s Deadliest Catch program.
- Soho Coho: Art gallery featuring the great and wacky fish art by Ray Troll. Don’t miss this.
- Saxman Carving Center: Meet an internationally renowned Tlingit carver. He is actually creating a piece for one of our bedrooms.
- Creek Street: Walk the boardwalk streets and shops of the previous “Red Light” district from early Ketchikan.